Increasingly evident that the most healthy diet loaded with vegetable food (Sayur-vegetables, fruits and nuts) and less on animal food (meat, fish, poultry and milk), especially the high fat womb.
Diet rich in fruits and vegetables play a role in reducing the risk of all major causes of illness and death," said Walter Willet, Head of Nutrition at the Harvard School Public Health.
For most people, vegetarian is a word that is too heavy. Because the word specifically refers to people who never eat meat, fish or poultry for ethical reasons, religion or health. Vegan people also avoid all dairy products and eggs. But scientists are more interested in how often-if not consume animal food. And much research they refer to the same conclusion: people should consume less food animal and more vegetable foods, especially fruits and vegetables. Why? These are the ten reasons why some health-related, some not.
"The science is suggesting that fruits and vegetables is protective element for all digestive cancers and all cancers associated with smoking," said Tim Byers, professor Drugs Prevention Health Science Center at the University of Colorado at Denver. Included in lung cancer, colon, stomach, mouth, larynx, esophagus and bladder. Latest research and found that Lycopene carotenoid in tomatoes and tomato sauce may protect against cancer prostat.
Not clear how fruits and vegetables can reduce the risk of cancer. Perhaps Phytochemicalnya womb - something like carotenoid, vitamin C and E, selenium, indole, flovonoid, limonene, and phenol
There is also evidence that grains such as high-fiber grain leather can reduce the risk of cancer. "Fiber has a good in preventing colon cancer," said David Jenkins, a fiber expert at the University of Toronto. And pasta, rice and other grains can replace the animal foods - red meat, in particular - which can increase the risk of some cancers.
"The men who consumed red meat as a main food five or more times per week have four times the risk of colon cancer than those who consumed red meat less than once a month," says Edward Giovannucci of the Havard Medical School. They consume a lot of red meat is also likely affected twice prostat cancer in 50,000 men to research health professionals.
That is just one study. See the others, said Lawrence Kushi of the University of Minnesota, "the real proof that red meat is associated with higher risk of colon cancer-prostat possibility."
But not even fatty red meat can increase the risk of colon cancer. "Perhaps carsinogen that when meat is cooked or womb iron in meat is high, or something else in the flesh," Willett speculate.
Fiber that is soluble Easy: "To reduce the risk of heart disease, you may want to eat more beans, bean, wheat, and barley," says Jenkins, because the fibers are easily larutnya a "sticky" it seems to help lower blood cholesterol.
* Acid Folik: "Evidence that folik acids reduce the risk of heart disease is strong enough," said Willett. Folik acid, a type of B vitamin, amino acid down the uterus in the dangerous blood called homocysteine. "And the fruits and vegetables are the main source of acid folik," he adds.
* Antioxidants: the stronger the evidence suggests that LDL cholesterol ( "bad") blood vessel damage only when teroksidasi (terkombinasi with oxygen). That's why the researchers believe that antioxidants like vitamin E can protect the heart. And many phytochemical in fruits and vegetables are antioxidants.
* Reduce saturated Fat: if you consume a lot of vegetable foods, there will be fewer places for the saturated animal fat clog the blood vessel.
3. Strok (which usually attacks the brain, along with disability)
There is much evidence that shows that fruits and vegetables useful to reduce the risk of strok affected, "Willett said. For example, in research for 20 years of age 832 male part-old, the risk strok 22 percent lower for each of three dishes of fruits and vegetables they eat each day. Once again, no one sure if potassium, magnesium, and fiber or other components of fruits and vegetables to prevent the stoppage of blood vessel in the brain.
4. Diverticulosis and Constipation
Grains, especially high-fiber grain leather - can help prevent constipation. That's not the case in countries such as the U.S. spends millions of dollars a year to expedite drugs to defecate.
Diverticulosis is also common. Approximately 30 to 40 percent of people aged above 50 years mengalaminya. Other experience bleeding, constipation, diarrhea, gas in the stomach, pain, or diverticulisis (when the pouch or diverticula form in the colon wall to become excited).
"In our research, is clear that the fibers of the skin of the wheat and fruits and vegetables are protecting," said Willett. Those who eat at least fiber (13 grams or less in a day) is almost twice diverticulosis can be infected than those who eat most fiber (at least 32 grams of fiber a day).
5. Diseases other
Vegetable diet can prevent other illnesses:
> Degeneration families: karotenoid called lutein is found in most green leaves can help prevent damage to the retina causing blindness in the elderly. "In our research, people who ate spinach or collard green two to four times a week have half the risk of degeneration makula compared with those eating less than once a month," says Johanna Seddon of Harvard Medicine School.
> Damaged nerve tube: Supplements folik acid can reduce the risk of spina bifida and other nerve damage vessel. Folik of acid foods (most fruits and vegetables) can also reduce the risk.
> Diabetes: "We found a lower risk of diabetes in adults who eat more grains," Willett said.
6. Food is more secure
Some of the most off the disease caused by food entering the body through the food animal. "Meat is a source of cattle most of the E. Coli 0157: H7. Birds carry Salmonella and Campylobacter, and consumption of raw shellfish has caused infection of Vibrio vulnificus, "says David Swerdlow of the Center for Disease Control in Atlanta.
Any raw food, including fruits and vegetables can carry dangerous bacteria. "For example, salmonella outbreaks recently have been associated with belewah, tomato and alfalfa sprout," said Swerdlow. But meat, seafood and poultry is the main cause of the disease because of the food.
"The habit we have a great meal on the planet Earth," said Jenkins. "Consume the meat of animals will not harm the environment if done on a smaller scale," said Alan Durning, Director of Environment of the sea in West Seattle.
"Modern meat production involves intensive use - and often incorrect use of the seeds, water, energy and farm animals," said Durning. He mentioned the examples of the following:
- Air pollution: fertilizer and sewage disposal from storage area livestock, poultry farm, and the provision of facilities to other food animals can cause pollution of water supplies.
- Air pollution: thirty million tons of methane gas that cause global warming come from manure in sewage disposal ponds, or hoarding.
- Soil erosion: nearly 40 percent of grain production of the world and more than 70 percent in the U.S. fed to livestock. For each pound of meat, poultry, eggs and milk we produce, agricultural fields lose about five pounds the ground surface.
- The dilution water: estimated half of the grain and straw provided as food for beef cattle in the land of flow water. Require approximately 390 gallons of water to produce one pound beef.
- Use of Energy: to produce and transport cattle required more energy than ten-fold compared with the vegetables.
- Most of the farm livestock: roughly 10 percent of the West region of the United States has changed into a dry desert due to a farm. But some parts of the land can not be used for other purposes. "That's why my argument is not to understand vegetarian, but that people reduce the use of animal products," maintains Durning.
Of course, you can spend $ 7.99 for one pound mesclun (green salad leaves, usually from the lettuce leaves) or other food. But from squash to sweet potatoes, most plants are downright cheap. And the price is lower than the plant as evidenced when you eat outside. The menu at Chinese restaurants, Indian, and in other restaurants, vegetarian options are usually cheaper than meat, seafood and poultry. .
9. Animal Welfare
Not fun to think this, but before we cut, the animals we eat are often raised and moved in a condition that is not humane.
Reason number one for food-vegetable diet because it is a tasty. Five kinds of vegetables are the most commonly eaten by Americans is fried potatoes, tomatoes (mostly as sauce or soy sauce), onion, lettuce, and other types of potatoes.
But if most Americans reduce consumption of meat, seafood and poultry on their dinner plates, most of them or their favorite restaurant will not know with what replace. You must go to ethnic restaurants to get food-based plant of interest. Not a coincidence that ethnic restaurants know how to make cooking vegetables that taste delicious. "Fortunately, a lot of experience in the world because almost all traditional diet is plant-based," said Willett.
However, Italian restaurants, Mexican restaurants, and other ethnic restaurants have become as American as most vegetables have replaced them with meat or cheese. And that's shameful. In the Asian and Mediterranean cuisines, cooking fruits and vegetables is an art form. Italian people do not put a lot of meat and cheese on pizza, for example. I recently ate pizza that is thin and crisp in a traditional restaurant with no cheese - just fresh basil, tomato and onion. It's really nice